Thursday, January 10, 2008

Grouting, Caulking, and Spakling, OH MY!


Home remodeling 101 by Laura Chamberlain:
As a teenager watching the home repair shows Sat. mornings on channel 7 I often thought how cool it would be to be like that woman doing all the hard work, installing the toilet, using the nail gun, and carrying the timber. While I think learning these home repair skills are very important, even for women, I would much rather have a husband to help me. As I was in the middle of grouting some tile in my bathroom, my friend Christina called me and in a fit of mild frustration I mentioned that it would be nice if my husband could help me. For the next few minutes we laughed and joked about how my husband never helps me with anything, he is always late (in fact, he never shows up), and never takes me out to dinner. What a husband!
While my husband in fact did not help me with any of these projects, I must mention that my dad did. My dad just about knows it all. He instructed me on how to spakle, prime and paint the walls. He told me how to place, glue, and grout the tiles. Together we put the vanity in place and completed the plumbing. What a job! The best part about the whole experience was relieving my frustration by kicking out the old vanity and sink. Now, that is my kind of work. Coming away from this experience, I actually fell quite empowered. Way to go Laura!

2 comments:

Star Gazer said...

I'm impressed the bathroom looks FANTASTIC!

cathy said...

Way to go pup. I loved that lady on PBS. I think dad had a secret crush on her, as well as every other guy who watched Hometime.